The pattern is McCalls M6446 and I will admit that part of the appeal of a cape was 1) Not having to fit it like a normal garment, if it went over my head that was great! This turned out to be a good thing since I am definitely a different size/shape now compared to when I started sewing this project. 2) I love the vintage feel of capes with big welts for your hands. Also this means I can pretend I am Little Red Riding Hood for no good reason… See attached photos if you don’t believe me hehehe 3) If it is really cold I can pull my arms inside the body of the cape and really huddle for warmth! Ditto wearing like 10 layers under here and still looking chic!
I made a standard size 10 and am happy with the fit – there is ALOT of fabric in this cape but the shoulder darts really help control the fall of the fabric. The edges of the collar and pocket flanges are covered with satin bias binding from Spotlight that conveniently matched the gorgeous rose red/pink colour of the checks. I actually bought this stuff back when I bought the fabric and pattern and was intending to make an unlined cape. Then I decided to match the lining satin to the bias binding and had a massive struggle finding a similar colour – DK Fabrics eventually came to my rescue!
The only 2 things that lets this make down for me is that I should have made bound buttonholes since the vintage buttons I bought at the Burra Antiques Fair were so huuuge that my automatic buttonhole foot can’t make buttonholes big enough for them! Since I only discovered this right at the end of this project my solution was to add black press studs instead and sew on the buttons for decoration. I actually really like the studs now since this cape is quick and easy to get off and on with minimal fussing. The other point is that because it took me so long to get through this project the addition of the lining wasn’t planned very well. I have only made a lined jacket once before and that was simple to follow the pattern. Since I added my own lining the hems are just stitched and turned on this and the edges of the big welts are not stitched down very evenly at all. I’m actually considering unpicking this and re-stitching it again but I’ll wait and see if I can be bothered first – I was so excited to finally be able to wear this beauty I rushed through this finishing step so I could wear it sooner!
P.S – check out the new shoes! I’ve been looking for some black shoe/boots with peeptoes for ages and finally found a pair. Yay for new shoes!